Wednesday, November 26, 2008
After the bottom side of the floor and chassis have been painted with this sealer, we will then staple a sheet of roofing paper to the plywood over the sealer. Then the floor will be ready to be attached to the chassis.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
We also now have a good look at what might be back behind the paneling and it's not good. No insulation and very little stud work. It appears if we were to peel back the exterior aluminum, we would find very little framework on this trailer, at least far less than I was expecting. On the ceiling you have your aluminum, your paneling, and then a stud of wood "inside", in the interior of the trailer as bracework. Interesting. We are going to try to get the chassis out from underneath the cabin before we begin tearing down the old paneling in the trailer since the paneling itself is much of the cabin support itself. You can get a feel of what I mean by these photos. Note how badly water damaged the edge framework is. Yikes! In any event, we will be getting some rigid insulation in this trailer. We feel insulation is very important to keep the heat out of a trailer in the summer time. It is also a nice sound barrier to any noise. We may have to utilize some of our teardrop building techniques to get insulation in this trailer.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Though most of the floor seems sound, all around the edges of the trailer is bad.. of course the most important part of the floor since that's what the cabin rests on. The corners are especially bad, this corner you can see clean through to the ground through a large crack where the back wall has come away from the floor:
We removed the bed and table. The bed has a thin sheet of paneling that the table hooks to. We will replace this sheet of wood with a nice sheet of birch before re-installing the table. The photo of the table shows the hardware used to create the "stowaway" bed. When the bed is in the down position, resting on the benches, the table is underneath. When you raise the bed up to "stow" along the back wall, the table drops down to give you a dinette area.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Monday, November 10, 2008
Saturday, November 8, 2008
I searched about a year for this particular trailer. It is a 1965 Little Gem "Bugg" model trailer. (7' wide, 12' long (includes tongue) and with a 8' cabin) It weighs approximately 1000 lbs. I wanted something very small and easy to tow, yet large enough to stand in. I also wanted to find one that the exterior aluminum was in good shape, since that is the one item I did not want to try to replace or fix. We were especially lucky to find a Bugg model with so much of it's interior intact. An interesting note: This is the only Bugg I have seen that is so "loaded" with interior items. A small oven, a built in toilet, the unusual floorplan..... I've not seen another like it to date.
You can see before photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/willowcb/BevS1965LittleGem##
This is the trailer we will use the most for camping, and we especially plan to use it for any longer trips we make, so it is important to have it in tip-top shape. The plan is restore the chassis, insulate, replace the floor, replace the interior with 1/8" birch, and finally restore the exterior. This will be our most complete vintage trailer renovation to date.
The first order of business is getting the Little Gem inside the garage for a dry, warm workspace. This proved a bit more difficult then we had first imagined.
At first glance, (and from this angle) it doesn't look likely that this trailer is going to fit inside the door. But looking at it at another angle, you get a feeling that it might just work:
What finally worked was the following. We made sure we had a bit of air in the tires, and then unbolted and slide the tongue jack up as high as it would go. This put the tongue on the ground and lowered the trailer. Bob then went around back and got his plow truck. They placed a big piece of wood between the tongue and the plow and literally "plowed" the trailer into the garage. By the time we were done pushing the trailer most of the way in, we had quite a trench dug from the jack/tongue digging into the ground. The last little bit of manuevering into the garage was accomplished with our riding lawnmower.
We will soon begin tear-down of the trailer.