Thursday, October 29, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Also pulled some like new wiring from an older trailer and will use it to wire the interior of ours. (Which won't require much... one light and one wall socket likely will be it. We will also have it wired for a 12v light)
Friday, September 25, 2009
We paid about $50 for them but it was a feature we felt was worth it.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Monday, September 21, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
As you can see from this photo, we chose to keep the red paint below the front window. Original Buggs had the front paint detail go to the top of the window, but with the red... I just felt less was more. So far we have used at least 500 stainless screws on the exterior and went through almost 3-4 rolls of putty tape.
Just a few more lights and covers to attach and we can move on to working on the interior. First order of business, electric wiring, both 12v and 110, along with gas lines for the stove and the gas lamp.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Friday, September 4, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
We've spent so much time on the aluminum banging out any dents and repairing dents, tears and holes with fiberglass bondo. This trailer had the usual tears along the bottom, especially in the back and also had a tree land on it's roof at one time. That spot took some extra care to repair.
In my opinion, your trailer is it's aluminum. If you can't get the aluminum looking pretty good, the trailer will always look a bit old and defeated. I'm sure in the end I'll be very happy we spent so much time working on the exterior aluminum..... though frankly it's been a real chore!
I hope to have photos soon.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
What a job. We found out early on that as we removed the aluminum, we had more repairs to make then what I had first thought. Tears along the bottom were handled by pop riveting in a small piece of aluminum behind the tear and then applying bondo to cover the tear. LOTS of sanding and elbow power applies for this type of work.
Prior to all of this we also had to remove most/all of the old paint with paint remover and then sand smooth. We are SICK of working on the aluminum. It would have been so much easier if we'd had the money to just replace it all with new.........
Here you see where a tree had landed on the top of the roof and we are repairing the dent with bondo. We also had holes to fill where the homebrew awning hardware had been. We will not be using those again since they created large areas of water rot.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Another major problem is the fact we can't work inside the garage. The trailer is just too tall to comfortably get under the garage door. We are going to get the aluminum on as soon possible to prevent any rain damage.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Also, we have found it VERY slow going since tearing this trailer completely down to the ground. It has been somewhat more difficult to put back together then we first thought. I think I would suggest keeping the trailer cabin intact on the trailer and somehow tearing out the floor to do chassis work, etc. It can be difficult to get your measurements exact after it's "all gone".
In any event, we managed to take enough measurements that with trial and error, and using the aluminum as a pattern (we could see where the old frame was from the decay left from the rotten wood), we feel confident we can get it back together.
Things should start moving more quickly now. The floor is down, along with the floor covering which is a very neutral gray color to go with anything. We did have to cut a seam in it, but it shouldn't show once we have it glued down.
We also now have most of the side framework cut and we are putting it all together again.
Once we get the walls attached back on the trailer, things will really start to move much faster.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Monday, May 4, 2009
This condition will be ok for under the trailer on the chassis.... but at this point, I'm recommending folks to NOT PAINT THE TONGUE OR EXPOSED AREAS with this paint. I'll give an update soon.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Things should start to move quicker now.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Sunday, March 8, 2009
These had seen water damage before and were also very faded. As we tore them apart, we could see where someone had actually created a patch at one time to repair the wood from water damage. I had thought the red vinyl was original, but I now believe it likely isn't. Bob feels somewhere along the line, someone spent some time to try to salvage/repair this trailer as best they could. Since we have no early photos of a Bugg with this floorplan, we have no way of knowing what is truly original. It has proven difficult to find a Bugg in good enough original shape to be sure. Most I have seen, cushions and beds are missing.... painted walls...etc.
I went to the fabric store and picked up on sale some beautiful brown micro-fiber suede like fabric for 20 bucks. I was really thrilled to find this fabric since the colors I'm doing the inside of the trailer will be mainly brown and turquoise. Since the covers for the benches are so simple, I just removed all the old rusty staples, used the red vinyl for the pattern and stapled the new fabric in place. The foam on the seats was still in good condition.
The back rests, which are screwed to the walls, appeared to have at one time had foam, but it had been removed. We put in new foam on these and covered them.