Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wow, what a mess


I thought I would stop by the blog and give an update.

We have been slowly tearing down the Bugg. It was in TERRIBLE shape. As we removed more and more from it, shortly after the aluminum was removed, it pretty much just caved in on itself.

Had we not the ability to weld, had we not built a teardrop trailer before... I would likely have said this trailer was too far gone to renovate... but we will simply pretty much rebuild most of it. Most of the exterior shell is just too far gone.
We have painted the bottom of the floor with the Fence asphalt paint and I'm real happy with the result. I think it will protect it well from rain on the roads. I would also like to add a sheet of roofing paper before we fasten it to the chassis...but we'll see.

The 1/2" floor also takes a 1' x 3/4" frame around the underneath perimeter for the aluminum to attach under the trailer. We still have to add this.

We've also been working on repairing the wheel wells, etc. Will add some photos once we've got the floor more finished.


Saturday, May 9, 2009


Here is a final photo of the fence asphalt paint. It has hardened finally and is just what I was looking for. It isn't a smooth finish on the vertical areas, but I think this is likely just due to gravity and the nature of the paint. Even dry, it has a feeling of almost rubber.
Our 63 Shasta trailer has remains of a undercoating that looks similar to this and it's chassis was in much better shape for it then this chassis.

Again, it should not be used on the visible portions of the trailer, but for rustproofing the chassis...Perfect. I think it will protect for years to come.


Monday, May 4, 2009

Will it ever dry?

Well, it's been almost 24 hours and this fence asphalt paint is interesting stuff. You can run your fingers across it, but it's still very "soft". I actually wonder if it will ever dry??????

This condition will be ok for under the trailer on the chassis.... but at this point, I'm recommending folks to NOT PAINT THE TONGUE OR EXPOSED AREAS with this paint. I'll give an update soon.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

floor


We also cut the 1/2" ply today to the required size of 7' x 8' which will require two sheets. We also pulled a wheel well. Once we have the wheelwell areas cut out of the floor plywood sheets, we will paint the bottom of them with the same asphalt paint as the chassis, put the tar paper down over that, flip it over and attach it to the chassis. We can then get the ply covered with our new floor covering:)
Things should start to move quicker now.

Undercoat


Today we opened up the Fence Asphalt paint from Tractor supply and painted the chassis. The stuff is thick, gooey, and gets all over everything if you aren't careful. We painted outside so the fumes weren't bad and I wore latex gloves to keep the paint off my hands.

Note: This paint requires 24 to 48 hours for drying. It appears to me to be "reacting" to the primer we have underneath it and is getting a "crackle" appearance to it. Fine for underneath the trailer.... but I would recommend keeping this stuff off the tongue of the chassis and anywhere else that isn't covered by the trailer.