Saturday, July 25, 2009

Well... maybe

It's starting to grow on me.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Edit

Hmmm...
Bob and I are having 2nd thoughts about the red. Maybe too much red for such a small trailer....

Ruby, the gem




We've been working on getting the aluminum prepared for paint and have decided to try our hand with simple Rustoleum paint. We have to go with something affordable for us. I don't know how long Rustoleum will hold up, but it is surely readibly available to buy if touch-ups are needed, etc.


I had planned on the Gem being white with the bottom portion being silver. We simply can't get a silver we like. I've decided to go with "Regal Red" instead. Since she's a "Little Gem" and going to be red, we gave her a new name, RUBY. Thinking it might be fun to "picture" what the trailer would look like in red, here is a mockup of what it might look like when finished.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Framework - Walls are up:)


Today we placed the wall framework on the Gem and it looks like it fits great.
I am considering painting the framework, something that isn't often done, but likely a very good idea. It is so difficult, even using the best techiques of butyl tape and silcone on each screw, to keep all water outside. The painted frame would at least help protect the wood a bit if any water ever were to get in. I am also considering shellacing both sides of the walls for added protection. After seeing what water can do damage a trailer, and since we hope to never tear this one apart again, a bit of preventative work can't hurt.

Another major problem is the fact we can't work inside the garage. The trailer is just too tall to comfortably get under the garage door. We are going to get the aluminum on as soon possible to prevent any rain damage.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Odds and ends




Power converter we picked up cheap at a garage sale. And starting to work on small details.... like cleaning up the cupboards and preparing them for new fronts of birchwood.:)
We want to make this our trailer of choice for travels. We will get rid of the icebox and put in a small electric fridge we have. We want to be able to use electric/water when available, 12v, portapotti, etc.... when camping rustic.

Building the walls


Why build it new? One word - ROT







Saturday, July 11, 2009

Slow going



Well, I thought it was time to post an update. What with vacations, etc., keeping us busy, we haven't worked on the trailer all that much.

Also, we have found it VERY slow going since tearing this trailer completely down to the ground. It has been somewhat more difficult to put back together then we first thought. I think I would suggest keeping the trailer cabin intact on the trailer and somehow tearing out the floor to do chassis work, etc. It can be difficult to get your measurements exact after it's "all gone".

In any event, we managed to take enough measurements that with trial and error, and using the aluminum as a pattern (we could see where the old frame was from the decay left from the rotten wood), we feel confident we can get it back together.

Things should start moving more quickly now. The floor is down, along with the floor covering which is a very neutral gray color to go with anything. We did have to cut a seam in it, but it shouldn't show once we have it glued down.

We also now have most of the side framework cut and we are putting it all together again.

Once we get the walls attached back on the trailer, things will really start to move much faster.