Saturday, September 26, 2009

Another good day at the junkyard

After a morning prowling around the local junkyard, we managed to find the guts/mechanism to open/shut the door windows. It will need a bit of tweaking.. but will get the job done.

Also pulled some like new wiring from an older trailer and will use it to wire the interior of ours. (Which won't require much... one light and one wall socket likely will be it. We will also have it wired for a 12v light)

Friday, September 25, 2009

New Modern Tail-lights


Though we like the vintage look of the old Bargman tail lights, we decided for travel purposes... we wanted something modern and bright. Since we hope to often travel to the mountains of Tennessee, with fog and rain often a factor, LED lights would be a nice addition.

http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=43253

http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=G4002

We paid about $50 for them but it was a feature we felt was worth it.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Outside light


Another item not original to the trailer, but that we want to make sure we have. This outside vintage trailer light will work great for when we're camping rustic and need to see our surroundings in the dark.


Monday, September 21, 2009

Privacy curtain

A Visual: Portapotti Area... pulls out from extra bench.


Thought I'd share my newest "gadget". While out at a junkyard, I tore this out of an old trailer shower. I'll use this rail above my portapotti area so when it's pulled out, I can pull a shower curtain around the entire area for privacy. While not in use, it will be pulled back against the wall. I may have to move the one inside light from it's original spot, but I guess that is one perk with having the interior torn down..... we can re-invent certain items/areas.

This trailer is what I hope to be our "long travels" trailer, so this is an important feature for rustic camping areas, etc.

I'm thinking this curtain could have another added feature. If you happend to get out of bed before your spouse/companion, you could pull the curtain across a bit to keep the light from shining on the bed..... that is, if the light is positioned correctly inside the trailer. I could then sit and read, etc....hmmmmmmm.

Thursday, September 17, 2009


Today we finshed putting the door on. We used plexiglass to replace 4 panes. The original thick, privacy glass was nice, but at this point, I'm saving my pennies wherever I can for other renovation materials. We will cover the interior side of each pane with "privacy contact paper". Should look pretty good.
As you can see from this photo, we chose to keep the red paint below the front window. Original Buggs had the front paint detail go to the top of the window, but with the red... I just felt less was more. So far we have used at least 500 stainless screws on the exterior and went through almost 3-4 rolls of putty tape.
Just a few more lights and covers to attach and we can move on to working on the interior. First order of business, electric wiring, both 12v and 110, along with gas lines for the stove and the gas lamp.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 13th




More exterior work. Lexan front window put in with 2300 MHRV, a special caulking we purchased at a local rv sales company. They use it on all their rvs and thought it would seal the Lexan window in place for us. It goes on like a clear silicone, but sets up fast, is paintable and washable. If it doesn't work long-term, we'll get some gasket material at Vintage Trailer Supply and get the job done the traditional way.

The more I read about Lexan or "Makrolon", I'm thinking using this material instead of glass in the front window might have been a really slick idea. It is suppose to be lightweight, transparent, breakproof and impact-resistant, all things to look for in the front window of a trailer! This is suppose to be a big improvement over the "plexi-glass" of old. We'll see.
We also installed the vent back in place, after cleaning it up and applying fresh putty tape and stainless screws. I had hoped for a fantastic fan... but won't be getting one right now. We'll wire it for one in the future.

Still lots of small details to finish up, not the least of which is to get the door installed. The aluminum does still have some imperfections, but it is over 40 years old and has been "abused" to say the least. We can tell it has been truly used over the years and didn't just sit in someones yard or garage. You can tell this trailer could tell some stories from past camping adventures.
Folks have also attempted to "save it" by slapping putty tape and lots of extra screws here and there to both try to hold it together and keep it water tight. It only managed to damage it more in the end.
So...in the end, though I wish the aluminum had been in somewhat better shape, it still isn't bad for what it is. When looking for a vintage trailer, really take the time to look over the aluminum. It's easy to miss all the imperfections.... old paint hides quite a bit sometimes too.
Once we've got the outside water-tight, we'll start of wiring and insulation inside.




Friday, September 4, 2009

A sneak peek


We are finally starting to really see some progress and the exterior is coming along. We need to buy more stainless steel screws, and of course have to still add lights, trim, etc... but it's coming along. We are quite happy with the gloss white and regal red. I think it will look pretty sharp when finished. I wanted more white than red... too much red would have been a bit much. We are also adding a bit of extra aluminum trim here and there that we think will give the trailer a more finished look.
Monday the front window will be done, we've got the door installed... Should have a exterior finished photo soon:)