Thursday, October 29, 2009

Countertop and kitchen cupboard area

Lately we've been working on the kitchen area. We decided on a "satin stainless" laminate by Wilsonart for the countertop:

Since someone had cut a huge square out of the original formica, we had to replace it. We also replaced a quite a bit of the wood due to previous water damage.

I really love the neutral color of the satin stainless, it seems to be tough stuff and looks really nice down. Above is a photo of what the material looks like in use.
We are also changing things about a bit concerning the original cupboard spaces. We also painted the brown plastic sink with white appliance paint and it looks great. Photos in the future.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ruby's mini skirt

Today we finished putting a skirt on the front of Ruby. When we removed it originally, we didn't pay close attention to how it was installed. Without the skirt, the edge of the floor was open to the elements in the front.

We placed the skirt behind the front aluminum and then brought down just enough to cover the floor. We then held it all in place with a length of aluminum edgeing. Turned out pretty good and now we won't have to worry about water kicking up and damaging the exposed floor.

Sunday, October 4, 2009


Before Shot.

It's been raining here and we've found a couple of areas that aren't waterproof on the Gem. Since we know how hard it can be to get a water-tight trailer, we decided that before we install any interior wood, we would first make sure things were sealed well from the outside.The trouble with our Gem is it is FULL of too many/extra holes. Folks have over the years tried to keep water out by adding more and more screws and more and more putty or silcone. Also, the trim is in such bad shape, it is hard to get it to mold or "seat" correctly. In the end, we have holes that shouldn't be there in spots that needed to be filled in with something.We went to the local rv store and besides putty tape, we are also using 2300MHRV.

We will fill any extra holes with this and also back out ALL screws on the exterior and put a drop on each screw and drive back in. We will also likely drive a bead along each trim edge to help ensure no water can get in. This stuff is suppose to be very good and also PAINTABLE.
Do your best when buying a vintage trailer to get one in the best condition you can find...... or be prepared for lots of added work.